I’m going to be completely honest here and tell you that I’m not a huge salad fan. I want to be, but I tend to go for the more hearty type meals like, pizza, mexican food, a bowl of beans, shepherds pie ect! I made a conscious effect to buy myself some staple ingredients for salads such as kale, tomato’s, and cucumbers. I thought that by having these foods in my fridge will help me get creative with my eating as I wanted to nourish my body with more leafy greens.
The average garden salad has never really appealed to my likings. In fact I find them quite boring even though they are filled with all the goodness. As I was scrolling through my Instagram feed I came across a salad that caught my eye which inspired me to create my own although with some different ingredients. I used what I already had in the fridge and worked with it.
To keep it interesting, exciting and delicious I changed things up a bit and created a “hearty” type salad. I’m not really a fan of the taste of kale.. Who really is? But I want to fuel my body with it as it’s packed with so many vitamins and minerals that are so necessary for the body, so when I chopped up a huge bunch of it as the base of my salad I rubbed through a home made salad dressing filled with organic mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. It also adds moisture to the kale and wilts it down. I also wanted some more fresh crunch so I added some chopped cucumber as well.
I’ve always heard about roasted chick peas but I’ve never actually made them myself and lemme tell you. WOW! I would suggest you go to your pantry right now, drain and rinse your chickpeas and put them on a baking tray and whack them in the oven. It’s my new fave thing. They are literally crunchy and crispy, and I’m all about that.
This salad is seriously up there with my top fave meals. Who woulda thought. A salad! Its flavoursome, hearty, warm, fresh and super nutrient dense. I suggest you give this one a go, you will not regret it!
You will need:
🌿 A big bunch of kale
🌿 1 cucumber
🌿 1/2 avocado
🌿 1/2 cup of chickpeas
🌿 1/2 of a medium sized sweet potato
🌿 1 medium potato
1. Chop both potatoes into bite size pieces and place them on your baking tray with the chick peas. Drizzle a little olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and some herbs. Roast these for about 30 mins at 180 degrees.
2. Whilst your vegetables are roasting, remove the kale leaves from the stalks and roughly chop it up. This will look like a lot when you place it in your bowl but as you add the dressing to it, it’ll wilt down.
3. Make a little salad dressing out of olive oil, organic mustard, a dash of apple cider vinegar, pinch of salt and pepper, and a squeeze of half a lemon. Pour it over the kale and rub it through with your fingers.
4. Chop up your cucumber and avocado and mix these into your salad. Place it into the fridge to keep fresh whilst you wait.
5. Once the vegetables have been cooked you can then add them to your salad.
So simple, so nourishing and sooo yummy!